1. Let’s start with a little something about you. What do you want the readers to know?
My name is Simon Palmer. I was born in the north of England in a small fishing town called Whitby. I moved to London at the age of seventeen, attended acting school, went onto writing screenplays and now write novels.
2. Now? Tell us about your book(s).
My first book, ‘Lost Innocence’ was released on July 14th of this year. It’s a thriller based in Thailand and is about a young English artist who comes to Thailand to sketch girls. One of the girls tricks him and he ends up in a Thai prison awaiting to be sentenced to a crime he claims he didn’t commit. He meets an Australian inmate who is serving a life sentence for drug smuggling and together they await for their fates to be decided.
3. List of favorites…
A. Quote? ‘Yes I’m drunk and you’re ugly. Tomorrow I’ll be sober but you’ll still be ugly. Winston Churchill.
B. Color? Blue
C. Food? English cuisine such as a Sunday roast and fish and chips
D. Lucky number? 7
E. Movie? Actor? Actress? ‘The Player’ by Robert Alman, Robin Williams, Meryl Streep
F. Song? ‘Something’ by The Beatles, ‘Old Love’ by Eric Clapton and ‘This Time’ by John Legend
G. Memory? Reading my first review on Amazon
H. Way to spend your down time? Reading, relaxing or singing
I. Word? Serendipity
J. Author? I don’t follow any particular author. I follow individual stories, but if I had to choose one author, I’d go with John Grisham. I loved ‘The Testament.’
K. Secret indulgence? Milk chocolate
L. Perfume/cologne? Davidoff Cool Water
M. Place you’ve visited? Perth, Australia because I swam with some Dolphins and loved the experience
N. Guilty pleasure? Sconces with clotted cream and raspberry jam or Belgian chocolate
O. Cartoon? Rick and Morty
4. Do you have any rituals when you write?
Not really but I need to be in the mood. I write in the morning when my mind is most alert.
5. What/who encouraged you to be a writer and what/who inspires you to keep writing?
I read Stephen Leather’s ‘Private Dancer’ in Thailand and loved the simplicity of it. Straight into the action, faced paced and heavy on dialogue. It made me think that perhaps I could write a book, so I did. I also got in touch with Stephen and he helped me a lot.
6. Writing plans for the future? I will continue with my ‘Tales of the Land of Smiles’ serious which is four books based in Thailand.
7. What is your opinion on S’mores? Burnt marshmallow or not? Without marshmallows.
8. Tell us a story about something you’ve witnessed that made you laugh.
A dog chasing his own tail
9. Most embarrassing moment ever?
Meeting Anthony Hopkins and mistaking him for Stephen Berkoff
10. You can teleport anywhere and any era you wish. You can only bring 3 things with you. Where do you go and what do you bring?
I would go to my mother the day she died and save her. I would take my father, brother and sister with me
11. What are your feelings about chocolate milk?
12. Pet person? Do you have them? If so, tell us about them?
I had a dog called Wag
13. Tell us about your first kiss.
I was 13. It was with a girl called Sarah and I liked it.
14. Have you ever walked down a toy aisle at a store and pushed all the buttons? Sure
15. It’s raining outside, you’re completely alone, what do you do? Nothing
16. Words of wisdom for our readers? Never give up.
Thanks so much for doing this, Simon! :) Very touching answers <3