1. Let’s start with a little something about you. What do you want the readers to know? That I love each and every one of my readers. Y’all keep me going no matter what!
2. Now? Tell us about your book(s). I started writing when I was ten. I subsidy published the first book in “The Atonement Trilogy”, The Spirit of Revenge, at seventeen. The Spirit of Revenge is an Epic Fantasy about a soldier named Cain and his struggle for revenge after his wife is killed. I published my second book in the trilogy, A New Reign, at nineteen, and this story centers around Cain’s mission to put an end to the four hundred years of war that has plagued the world.
3. List of favorites…
A. Quote? “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” – Albert Pine. I try to follow his words and live my life to help others and leave this world better than how I found it. Nothing makes me happier than to know I helped someone.
B. Color? Red. You would understand if you read the books. There is a lot of red.
C. Food? All food! But you can’t go wrong with a good grilled steak!
D. Lucky number? 13. I was born on the 13th.
E. Movie? Actor? Actress? Too many good movies to pick a favorite. Actor-Russell Crowe. Actress-Jennifer Lawrence.
F. Song? “Louder than Words” by Les Friction. Do yourself a favor and listen to it!
G. Memory? Perhaps my most memorable would be the time I went on a one hundred mile backpacking trip. I hiked up a mountain with my Dad and stood on the peak overlooking New Mexico. In that beautiful stillness, I shared more with my Dad than ten thousand words.
H. Way to spend your down time? Writing of course. If I’m not writing, I like to be with my friends, or go hiking, fishing, shooting guns or bows, camping, anything outdoors.
I. Word? I’m a sesquipedalian.
J. Author? I enjoy so many authors, I can’t pick favorites. I love Tolkien of course, GRRM, Sanderson, Erikson, C.S. Friedman, to name a few.
K. Secret indulgence? Shh! It’s a secret!
L. Perfume/cologne? A man can’t reveal his secret weapon!
M. Place you’ve visited? I kayaked and canoed in the Canadian wilderness. Beautiful country, save for the mosquitos the size of hawks. The crystal clear waters and tall evergreens were inspiration for some of the locales in my books.
N. Guilty pleasure? Online role-playing games. I get addicted so I have to avoid them!
O. Cartoon? Pokemon. I grew up with them for crying out loud!
4. Do you have any rituals when you write? I have to listen to music. I don’t know why, but without music, I can’t seem to spill my thoughts out.
5. What/who encouraged you to be a writer and what/who inspires you to keep writing? I unfortunately never had anyone encouraging me or telling me “I could do it.” I was always an avid reader and enjoyed the stories I read so much I wanted to create my own world, so I did! I never gave up and I want to encourage others to do the same.
6. Writing plans for the future? I am working hard on the final book in “The Atonement Trilogy”. As far as others, I can’t spill the beans! But I can tell you I will always be writing!
7. What is your opinion on S’mores? Burnt marshmallow or not? Never burnt, nice and crispy though!
8. Tell us a story about something you’ve witnessed that made you laugh. My friends and I spent hours trying to catch a squirrel. We eventually caught it with a peanut and a pot but did not think ahead as to what we were going to do once we caught said squirrel. So needless to say, when we opened the pot to let it go we were ruthlessly assaulted by the now enraged squirrel. Good times.
9. Most embarrassing moment ever? I’ll need a few drinks before I share those stories!
10. You can teleport anywhere and any era you wish. You can only bring 3 things with you. Where do you go and what do you bring? I would travel to the Europe in the late Dark Ages. I would want to see how people lived and interacted so of course I would take my pencil and notepad. Although it is not as mighty I would take my sword, because come on, why not? Lastly, I would bring my gun as a backup. Forget the space-time continuum, wibbly-wobbly stuff, a man’s got to protect himself!
11. What are your feelings about chocolate milk? Love it! Comes from brown cows right?
12. Pet person? Do you have them? If so, tell us about them? I live in the country right now. We have nine dogs and two horse. All the dogs were strays so we have a menagerie of rejects that no one wanted. They are wonderful dogs. The horses are okay too I guess…
13. Tell us about your first kiss. It was as suspenseful and scary as a season finale with all the disappointment of a show like Lost.
14. Have you ever walked down a toy aisle at a store and pushed all the buttons? Does getting kicked out of a toy store count?
15. It’s raining outside, you’re completely alone, what do you do? If I’m not writing or thinking about writing, I am usually reading, working out, or doing homework.
16. Words of wisdom for our readers? Never give up! Forget all the other words of advice you may hear, forget the fancy publishing do’s and don’ts and grammar tips for a moment. All you have to do is keep writing, keep putting your thoughts onto paper, keep pushing forward one day at a time, and everything else will fall into place. Never give up on your dreams and you will amaze yourself at what you can accomplish.
BRYAN GIFFORD’S love for literature and all things fantasy inspired him to create The Atonement Trilogy at the age of ten. He completed the first of the trilogy, The Spirit of Revenge, at seventeen. Bryan lives in Waco, Texas and currently attends McLennan Community College for a Bachelor in Business Management. You can learn more about Bryan and The Atonement Trilogy at bryangifford.com.
Thanks, Bryan! I'll try not to be long winded (wink) but I LOVED these answers!!! Here are his links... Be sure to go check 'em out!